Blogging on Squarespace
Blogging used to be a chore. I used to be a Wordpress girl, years back, and it seemed like such a pain just to get my words out there. I was introduced to Squarespace over a year ago and I’ve never looked back. Squarespace allows you to do what you want to do. Blog. No need for fancy plug-ins. It’s simple and easy to do . And it looks great! Let me show you!
I strongly suggest you draft your blog posts in Google Docs first. This way it auto saves for you, it’s easily accessible from all of your devices, and, for me, it allows me to think more clearly as I write without having to worry about anything else at the time. This isn’t a must, but I think it will help you just as much as it does me. So, let's get to work.
But first, get your blog checklist here >>>
If you're short on time and just want to see how I do it, watch my 3 minute video on how I create a blog post.
- Log in to your Squarespace account
- Click on Pages
- Do you have a blog page already created?
- Yes? → Click on BLOG and then the + sign in the upper right corner
- No? → You will need to add a BLOG page to your navigation. Click on the + in the upper right corner and then BLOG then Click on BLOG and then the + sign in the upper right corner
- Now, it’s time to enter in your post title. This should be something catchy and something that people are looking for. You don’t want to title it, “What a great day I had.” Because...no one probably cares too much. If you’re blogging to make a living, then you need to be strategic about what you are blogging about and what you’re using as your title.
*side tips--use the Google Keyword Planner or Pinterest to give you ideas on what you should blog about.
*think about what your readers would love to read. What would help them? Write about something they will find helpful. Something so great, they’ll pin it and maybe even print it! So for example, your blog post may be titled, “The Ultimate Wedding To-Do List.”
- After you put in the title, highlight and copy it.
- Go over to the OPTIONS tab.
- Paste the title in your blog post URL.
- If you have a thumbnail image created (the image that would post when shared on social media) You can go ahead and add that as well. Sometimes I leave this to the end. Either way is fine.
- Source anything that needs to be sourced in the Source URL.
- You can also create an excerpt to be used if you want to display your blog posts on the blog list page.
- Featured Post can be click on if you choose to highlight or flag in elsewhere on your website such as on the gallery feature.
- The OPTIONS screen is complete
- Click on over to the Location tab. If you have a brick and mortar business or a location you would like to tag, you can do so here.
- Slide on over to Social. This is assuming all of your social media accounts are integrated (super easy to do). All you have to do is click on the social media account that you would like your post to automatically post to once it is published. I usually to Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
- Now you can go back to the CONTENT TAB. I usually go ahead and paste in my blog copy from Google Docs now.
- Sometimes when you paste in copy that was created in Squarespace, the format can be goofy. So I like to highlight all of the text once it’s pasted and then remove any formatting.
- Go through your post again. See if needs any changes. Delete any extra spacing. Just spruce it up a bit.
- You have options to add a little sparkle to your posts by adjusting your formats like adding larger text through different headline options. And of course you can add bold and italicized text as well.
- Adding any element to your post like an image, button, link, video, etc. is very simple. All you have to do is click on the black handle and choose what you desire.
*side tip when you upload an image, be sure your title is keyword rich. You don’t want to have an image with a file name like ijfawe;ifjs;dkjf.jpg
*if you add something you wish to remove, just click on the trash can and confirm you deleting the element
- Tag your blog post with words that describe the content like wedding, wedding tips, wedding checklist, bride, bridal tips. Just click on the + sign and start adding your tags!
- Categorizing your post makes it easier for your readers to find exactly what they are looking for when they’re searching on your site. This is almost like your filing system. You could file this under Wedding and/or Bride.
- Turn comments on or off
- Now you’re ready to commit. Publish your post now or schedule it out. Click on the word DRAFT and select your option
- If you choose SCHEDULED then you’ll have to click on scheduled one more time to set the date. You’ll notice that Squarespace will back date the publish date and time so no oopsies are made. Once you’ve click on the date you are able to schedule your publishing date.